Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Supermarket Expierence

Working the cash register at different jobs throughout the years has been quite an experience. Mostly a hilarious one. Aside from random occurences, I found 4 things that pretty much happen everyday.

1. You can say whatever you want to foreigners while at the register as long as you are smiling and do it politely. Because, I believe, odds are if they are with a friend they are talking about you in a language you don't understand and they probably only understand basic words in English and not insults. I'm not encouraging it but I'm just saying the opportunity is there and I would find it hilarious if it was ever done.

2. Why oh why do people swipe their credit/debit card like it has done something to them personally. What is all the anger about? Will the price lower if you swipe the card faster or harder? Answer=NO. Then people wonder why the stripe on their card doesn't work or why the numbers have to be typed in.

3.The Speedy Checkout unlike regular checkout lanes has rules. It has limitations. So when you look up and see the lane light on and then look a little further up and see the sign that reads "10 items or less", why do you glance at your 2 carts full of groceries and decide that this is the right lane for you? Do you not see the sign, can you not read the sign, or do you not care? It plays into a common stereotype but I won't go there right now.

4. Last but not least, it amuses me how people come to the register, check out, and then, for example, hand me the money and say "that's 40 dollars". Oh, because I'm not going to count it anyway. Oh ok complete stranger that I have never met in entire life, I trust that you handed me 40 dollars and I'm just going to slide it in my drawer all folded up and everyhing. That's not how it works, yet it happens like every 20 minutes.

As time goes on, I'm sure my list will grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment